Friday, March 18, 2011

Yes, I can still tie my shoes...No, my baby was not due yesterday

I am certain at this point in my twin pregnancy I make people very uncomfortable. I am huge. And no one likes to look at a huge woman try to do things. It makes people stare wide-eyed. Plus everyone knows people say stupid things when they see someone pregnant. Here are a few recent things I've heard.

The most common conversation I've had lately has occurred over a dozen times. Someone asks me if I am having a boy or a girl. It is hard to ignore the conversation of twins when that question is asked. If I was having two girls, I might answer "girl" and move on or if I were having two boys, I might answer "boy" and move on. But...since I am having one boy and one girl, I find myself caught every time the question is asked. So I answer truthfully and say, "actually, I am having one of each". Immediately, the person turns to someone next to them and with full enthusiasm as if they just won the lottery they exclaim, "I told you she was having twins!". They are so proud of themselves for calling it before they asked. I guess I should be grateful they had enough tact to not flat out ask me if I was carrying twins...

Which brings me to the second most common conversation I've had lately. "Wow, you must be due any day." Sometimes I'll throw out there that my due date is a month away and yes, then they say, "well you must be carrying twins." Sometimes I tell them that I am due any day and they respond with, "well, it looks like you have two in there so you must be ready to drop. Or some people flat out ask, "are you pregnant with twins?" A woman today at lunch asked me if I was ready to drop and I said, actually, I am and I'm carrying twins. I volunteered the information for some reason because I know how big I am. The woman stared right at my stomach and said, "So that is what twins looks like, I have always wondered!" I've had other people say, "you are having twins, I thought you were supposed to get really fat with twins."

Just yesterday the mailman asked me if my baby was due yesterday. I told him, "yes, it was".

A few days ago I was at the bank ordering checks. I got to chit chatting with the women about my 2 year old and my husband and how everyone was and what it's like being pregnant with twins, etc, etc. I sat down to tie my shoe and when I looked up four women's jaws had dropped. One woman exclaimed, "oh my gosh! you can tie your shoes!!!" Yes, I can tie my shoes. "you must be really flexible" another woman said, "I could never tie my shoes once I hit 6 months pregnant with just one baby".

I've had complete strangers ask me for pregnancy advice, which I find odd, because I don't think I look that approachable. I'm starting to believe the "bigger" you are the more of an expert people think you are on pregnancy. One woman approached me in the grocery store and said, "I just found out I am three months pregnant. Do you think it is okay for me to drink caffeine?" Really? Really? I don't know. I told her she needed to ask her doctor. Another woman asked me if I had registered for a baby sling and what kind...and another asked where I bought my maternity clothes and what kind of shoes were the most comfortable. All strangers...

There are lots and lots of other funny and silly things that people have said. One lady in a parking said she just wanted to let me know that she did not know how to deliver a baby just in case I had my baby walking to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment