Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Help! My Two Year Old is a Teenager!

Today was Lucia's first day of school in the Two's class. I could've sworn she is a teenager and not a 2 year old today.

Lately I've been thinking my 2 year old reminds me of a teenager. I have these flashforwards with things that she does. I stare at her small face that fits her 25 lb two year old little body perfectly and as I stare into her soft brown almond shaped eyes I suddenly find myself looking into the eyes of a 15 year old little girl. I have to immediately snap myself out of it! I'm not ready for this teenage stuff yet. I take a deep breath, blink and look at her again to see my sweet young little two year old. I eagerly try to forget my flashforward and tell myeslf not to go there again...not yet anyway.

It's her first day of school and she love to oversleep. This morning was no different. I turn her noise maker off and her lights on and I softly tickle her arm and say, "wake up baby". She just barely opens her eyes. She looks at me with her eyes opened just enough to give me the stink eye! She's got one hell of a stink eye. It's enough to make anyone take offense to her. I'm sort of used to it by now. I walk out of the room and she rolls over and goes back to sleep.

I leave her room, start getting her breakfast ready and her lunch box packed. Do I dare go back in ther and risk getting the stink eye again from my two year old? Of course I do! I tickle her arm a little bit and I say, "sweetie, you need to get up and get ready for school. Do you want some milk? I have some grapes and pancakes waiting for you. Come on babe, it's time to get up and go to school." Again, I get the stink eye and she rolls over and this time puts the covers over her head.

She finally rolls herself out of bed and slowly comes into the playroom where I am with the babies. She is covered in sweat and her hair is crazy messy. Her eyes are just barely open and she is in a rotten mood. She drinks milk and asks for cookies. I offer her her breakfast on the table. "Momma I want cookies, please." I'll say no cookies honey we need to eat breakfast so you can grow big and healthy. "Momma, I want M&M's." No M&M's. "I want chocolate, please". I decide I will offer her two cookies on her breakfast plate. Of course they are peanut butter crackers, but she doesn't know the difference. To her they are cookies. She may seem like a teenager as I try to get her out of bed and ready for school, but she still thinks peanut butter crackers are cookies she can only have as treats. I'll try to keep this one for a while. 
She finally sits down to eat, but won't eat until I leave the room to get the babies dressed. When she saw me looking at her she immediately stopped eating. I got her dressed and her hair in pink tails. Her lunch box packed and her backpack ready. She kept trying to open her lunch box, probably to check and make sure I put M&M's in it, which of course I didn't.  She got a peanut butter sandwhich, some slivced avacado and string cheese. This means the whole lunch box will probably come home full.

I tried to take her picture before sending her off on her first day of school. She refused. She kept turning her head, running away and saying, "Momma, I don't want to go to school!" She was telling me she just wants to play. As I reminded her that she was going to play at school and see all her friends there she responded by saying she just wanted to play at home.   
We eventually made it to the car drove to school, all the while she reminded me that she didn't want to go. I pulled through the drop off lane and one of the lovely teacher's came to get her out of the car. My daughter stared at me with this aweful blank look...it was like the evil eye times ten! I handed the nice teacher her backpack and lunchbox. The car door shut. I smiled and waved to her as the teacher carried her into the building. The whole time she stared at me, never taking her eyes off me. I continued to smile and wave. I amsot felt her eyes telling me to "go to hell; how could I be so rude dropping her off at school like that when all she wants is to stay home and play, dammit!" I know...that's a harsh when describing my two year old. I admit it. But it was one of those flashforward moments where she's 15 and I won't let her go to the movies with her friends and instead I make her go to dinner with her family and she sits at the table with the same look on her face. It's a powerful look! I've never known a 2 year old to be able to have this kind of influence in her eyes, but I'm warning you, it's deadly and it will send you into a flashforward of teenagehood. I stared right back at her and smiled bigger and and bigger and waved faster and faster and finally sped off!

I know she'll have a great day at school and as we get back in the swing of things, she'll beg me to go to school just as she did last year when she was in the 1's class.

My little two year old teenager.

Is your two year old a teenager check list:
Won't eat anything I make for dinner - check!
Only wants junk food - check!
Does the opposite of what I say - check!
Sleeps late - check!
Wants to stay up all night - check!
Gives the stink eye - check!
Tells me to go away - check!
Tells me she doesn't want to talk to me - check! 
Argues the opposite of what I say - check!

No comments:

Post a Comment